A hearty Italian style classic with chicken pieces cooked with plenty of fresh vegetables: tomatoes, peppers, mushrooms and onions. The meat and vegetables are slowly simmered together with chicken stock, wine and herbs, creating a savoury sauce. Great served with spaghetti.
- 2 pounds chicken parts
- ¼ cup flour
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 green or red pepper, sliced
- 1 cup mushrooms, sliced
- 3 tomatoes, peeled and chopped
- 1 can (5½ ounces) tomato paste
- ¼ cup white wine
- ½ cup chicken stock
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon basil
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- Coat chicken parts with flour. Heat oil in a large pan and cook the chicken until golden brown all over – about 10 minutes.
- Add the onion, garlic, green pepper and mushrooms and cook for 3 more minutes. Drain excess fat from the pan.
- Add the remaining ingredients. Cover and simmer over low heat for 30 to 40 minutes, until the chicken is tender. Remove bay leaf and serve.
Recipe courtesy of Now You’re Cooking